Newlin Grist Mill
Nathaniel Newlin and Mary Mendenhall came to America on the Liver of Liverpool in 1683, he from Ireland with his parents, she with her brothers from England. After their marriage, they established a grist mill along the West Branch of Chester creek, downstream from two mills owned by his father, and a third mill owned by Mary‚Äôs brother. Thirty-five years later, their grandson, also named Nathaniel, doubled the size and grinding capacity of the mill, adding a second waterwheel and two sets of millstones.
The Concord Flour Mill, as it came to be known, remained in the Newlin family until 1760, when it was leased to neighbors, including William Trimble. In 1817,William Trimble purchased the mill and retained it until 1829 when Abraham Sharpless bought it. Six years later Caspar Sharpless became owner until 1860, when it was resold to a branch of the Newlin family in the person of John Hill. The Hills operated it until 1941, when, as a result of a family squabble, milling operations were abandoned. Daniel Conlan took possession that year, but never resumed production.
In 1958, Conlan sold the mill to Earl Mortimer Newlin, an eighth descendant of the original builders. Newlin created a non-profit foundation and financed the restoration of the building and its machinery. By 1962, the old mill was again in operation, albeit as a museum. It is the oldest water powered grist mill from the colonial era that is operational and open to the public.
This Historic District is Historic Resource #146, and includes a Spring House on Scott Road, #147, not included here.